The Web filter report is a log of the browser activity/history of the devices and users at the school. The report will allow admins to view all the activity and action appropriately where needed. The reports are available to admins from the dashboard reporting tab.
Please note: All teachers and students must be using the Mobile Guardian Safe Browser for the activity to display correctly (Exception: Chromebook which uses Chrome browser to provide this activity information)
We will cover the following topics
- What is displayed in the Web Filter report
- How to use Advanced filtering and how to save your custom filters
- How to export a report
- How to view an Individual device browser history
Web Filter Reporting
A web filter report is a history of all web browsing on a device with a line-by-line record of information including the date, URL and web filter categories to name a few.
You are able to use the web filter to view student browser activity in class or just in general, filter to better allow an analysis of browser history for your students, ie trends and multiple visits to certain web sites.
The Web filter Reports contains information pertaining to students and devices, including the following:
- Last Accessed - The date with which the device last access the Activity.
- Activity - URL visited or Domain accessed
- Profile - Profile that was active at the time of the entry
- Student Name
- Device - The device's name that accessed the URL
- Status of the URL - allowed or blocked depending on the active profile settings
- URL count - Count of the times the devices have accessed this URL
- Actions - Allows the adding of the URL or domain to the blocklist (Only seen and utilised from the Dashboard web filter report).
You are able to extract this information from the dashboard using two methods:
I. You can pull the default Last Access 24 hours ago report.
II. Use advanced filtering to create a custom report.
Using Advanced filtering and how to save your custom filters.
To create your own report we have provided a list of filters, these filters will allow you to customise the data you wish to report on. Below are the descriptions for each filter:
- Last Accessed - By default a report will be set to the Last 24 hours, this can be altered by selecting the filter button. Click on Last Accessed and either select a pre-determined range or select a custom range. When you select a custom range, you will need to use the calendar widget to select the start and end date. Please note: Make sure you click apply.
- Devices - This is where you may select certain devices or search for a specific device by typing in its name
- Students - Select the student you wish to view the reports.
- Classes - You may filter the web filter history by a class to see what was accessed during a specific class only.
- Status - You can filter between all, allowed and blocked URLs and domains.
- Type - You are able to filter by all, Matched Categories, Matched keywords and searches
If you would like to remove any of filtering you have applied. Please select the "X" button on the filter displayed on the top bar.
To "Save" or "Save as" the report:
I. Create the report using either one or a combination of the above options
II. Specify a report name
III. select "Save" or "Save as" next to the Apply button on the bottom:
Saved Advanced reports can be found in Saved filters. You can delete and edit the saved report by selecting the trash or pencil icon respectively.
You can also view this saved report in the Saved filters section in the Reports menu:
Actioning Report items
The Web filter report has included the ability to action any entries in the list. These actions allow you to allow list or blocklist any URLs, Categories, and Wildcards from the directly from the Web filter reports. Navigate to this Guide to learn how to use these actions.
How to export a report
I. Go to the Reports section on the dashboard and select Webfilter Reports
II. To Apply any saved filters do this by selecting the filter button on the top right and selecting any saved filters or apply filters now for a temporary report:
III. Once you have made the filtering you require you may select Apply
IV. If you would like to now extract the information you can do this by selecting the "Export As" button on the top right and selecting CSV
V. You can now view your downloaded file which contains the web filter report you exported.
An Individual device browser history
A student's device has a browser history that appears in chronological order starting with the most recent content. Any time they navigate to a new page it will provide a new line to show the status of the web site visited, whether it was blocked or allowed.
The history will have the following information contained within:
- Created - The date the URL or domain was access, therefore creating the log
- Web address - the URL that was visited
- Profile and Status - This would indicate at the time of the log what profile was active and the allowed/blocked status of the URL, according to the profiles web filter settings.
To learn more regarding the individual browser history, Please click here to explain in more detail how to use this report and more.
Congratulations you can now use our Web filter Reports
Please let us know if you found this useful
Thank you for reading :)