When you purchase content from the VPP store for your school, you can distribute your purchases directly to your users by using User Assignment only. This means that an Apple ID will be required on each device that books need to be distributed to.
The process is as follows:
- Configure your books based on tags or flags.
- On first sync, we will check if the device has been associated with a VPP account.
- If it hasn’t, we will send a VPP invite request to the device. The book status on the dashboard will reflect as “VPP account not associated yet. Current status is Registered”.
- The VPP invite will display, allowing the user to sign in using their Apple ID. It is important NOT to use the same Apple ID as was used to setup your VPP account.
- Once this has been completed, we will receive a message from Apple stating that the account has been associated.
- Once the account is associated, subsequent sync requests will push the VPP book to the device and make it available via iBooks if the book is available for the device region (a book available in the US VPP book store may not be available for a device in the UK).
- The iBooks application will be installed on the device if it is not already available and installation of applications has not been disallowed by restrictions on the device (with the release of iOS 8, it became an integrated app).