Apple provides a method for schools to bulk purchase apps and media (iBooks). Apple also describe the bulk obtaining of licences for free apps as 'purchasing'. Through the Volume Purchase Program (VPP), these can then be distributed to devices via management systems such as Mobile Guardian. This guide shows you how to add your VPP account(s) to your Mobile Guardian School Dashboard.
Whilst focussing on the use of the iTunes VPP portal, the process is similar for those who have moved onto Apple School Manager.
Follow the steps below:
- Open https://vpp.itunes.apple.com then click the Education Volume Purchase Program button.
- Enter your Apple ID and Password then click Sign In.
- On the Volume Purchase Program screen, click Account Summary.
- From the Managed Distribution section, click Download Token to save the text file (.txt) containing the VPP Token.
- Sign in to Mobile Guardian and navigate to Settings > iOS MDM Settings.
- Click the Add an Apple VPP account button.
- Enter the name you wish to give the account, enter the email address of the VPP account used and then click Upload Token.
Click Browse... to select the VPP Token .txt file downloaded in the previous steps.
Then click Update Certificate to complete.
To add additional VPP accounts repeat the above process for each account.
To edit an account, click on the Pencil icon in the Apple VPP Application Distribution section.
Specifying a tag will limit VPP applications to specific devices, not specifying a tag will allow VPP applications to be installed to all iOS devices. To add an existing tag, type part of a tag name and then select a tag from the drop-down list of tags that match your search criteria. To add a new tag, enter a tag name and press Enter.
To save your changes, click on the Update Certificate.