Previously, Apple allowed only the devices purchased directly from Apple to be enrolled in Apple’s Device Enrollment Program (DEP). Now, Apple devices running iOS 11 or later can be added to DEP regardless of how or from where it is purchased.
30-day Provisional Period Notice
DEP will not be permanent for the provisional period of 30 days from the day the device is added to DEP. This means that any device added to DEP using Apple Configurator can be removed from DEP within 30 days. To remove DEP, navigate to the Device Management Profile and click "Leave Remote Management". After 30 days, the device will behave like any other DEP-enrolled device.
- A device running iOS 11 (you may need to update to the latest version)
- Mac with Apple Configurator 2.5
Set up a WiFi profile
- Open Configurator.
- From File → New Profile, set the General information and add a Wi-Fi payload. Take note of where your profile is saved.
Add iOS 11 devices to DEP
- Hook up your iOS device to your Mac and open Apple Configurator 2.5.
- Right-click the device and click on Prepare...
- Choose the manual configuration option with these selections:
- Add to Device Enrollment Program,
- Activate and complete enrollment, and
- Allow devices to pair with other computers.
4. Go to the next screen. Add a new MDM server or select it from the list if you’ve added it previously.
- To add a new server, select New Server.
- Name the server and enter the server URL in the Enrollment URL field. You can find the enrollment URL in your Mobile Guardian portal at Devices → Add new School device → Apple Configurator.
5. On the next page, select the Organization from the list if you have added one previously. Or, if you haven’t added one yet, click on New Organization and enter the Organization name. Click Next.
6. From the Setup Assistant screen, choose Show only some steps and select the setup screen options you want to skip. If you plan on using location-based profile assignments, ensure that the Location Services option is selected. Click Next.
7. Upload the WiFi profile which you’ve configured at the start.
8. Leave the user name and password fields empty and click Prepare.
9. You might need to erase your device. If prompted to do so, erase.
10. Your device may switch to the Welcome screen before the process is complete. Do not attempt to access the device until the MDM terms and conditions are displayed on the device. You may now proceed with the setup on the device.
Is your device added to DEP?
Sign in to Apple Device Enrollment Program portal. Added devices will be listed under “Devices Added by Apple Configurator 2”.
Associate your new DEP devices with Mobile Guardian
- On the Apple Device Enrollment Program Portal, choose Device Assignment and associated new devices to your MDM server associated with Mobile Guardian.
- On the Mobile Guardian portal Settings → iOS MDM Settings → Apple Device Enrollment Program click Resync Devices to apply the configuration to newly enrolled devices.
- This will allow new devices to use your Mobile Guardian defined configuration when they are wiped in the future.