Users are entities in the Mobile Guardian system which can be linked to other entities such as devices, etc through the use of tags. For each school, Mobile Guardian has four main user types:
- Students - found in the separate Students menu item in the dashboard.
In the Mobile Guardian dashboard, the Users page can be found in the Settings menu. Administrators, Teachers and Parents are grouped in this section as they will have varying degrees of access to the Mobile Guardian dashboard features, whereas Students are treated separately as they will not access the dashboard to configure profiles, etc.
Each type of user can differing needs and these needs have been catered for in the roles and responsibilities configured for each user.
Administrators get full access to all the functionality within the Mobile Guardian dashboard. This would typically be the IT manager at the school who is using Mobile Guardian to its full capability. Only Administrators are able to do the following in the User section:
- Invite Users (other Admins, Teachers, Parents)
- Assign Roles
- Reset Passwords
- Edit User details
- Delete Users
Teachers have access to class-related functionality in order to manage devices within the classroom/lesson context. A Teacher user is able to do the following:
- Add and Manage classes
- Add devices to a class
- Manage the students in the class
- Manage in-classroom interactions (these are typically: Message the student or group of students; eyes-up instruction; lock devices; mirror device to an Apple TV; put the device(s) in single-app mode; etc.
- Push content and applications to the students devices within the classroom
Parents have access to a limited set of functionality. They can be either stand-alone (not linked to a school) or be linked to a school.
A parent would typically take ownership of the device after school hours, if linked to a school account. A Parent user is able to do the following:
- Add/Link a device to the parent account
- Link device to school account
- Manage zones (location setup)
- Manage time and date settings (schedules)
- Manage device restrictions
Students are seen as a slightly different user in that they cannot access the Mobile Guardian dashboard and they are used as an identifier when schools are using 1:1 device management policies. Students can be synced from an existing database or uploaded in bulk if required. Students can be authenticated using external directories where the students profile will remain with the specific credentials if devices are shared.
Article is closed for comments.